Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Atlus Bringing Ys I + II to North America? UPDATE

According to a GameStop/EBGames listing, Atlus will be localizing Falcom's DS Ys remakes and combining them into one game, titled (according to the listing) Legacy of Ys: Books I & II.

For those out of the Ys loop, these action-RPGs have been Nihon Falcom's flagship series since 1987, traditionally developed for personal computers, but eventually finding their way to consoles. Ys I and II were remade (for like the 20th time) for the Nintendo DS by Interchannel-Holon (it is unclear how much input Falcom had on the projects other than licensing) earlier this year in Japan.

Since GameStop is the only source listing this release at the moment, and with no current official word from Atlus themselves, we need to lable this one as a rumor. We will keep you updated.

UPDATE: Wow, that was quick. Atlus has officially announced the title in question and set it for release on February 10, 2009. Both games (Ys and Ys II) will be available on a single cart, as opposed to the Japanese collector's bundle which featured a box that contained the two separately. You can check out their official site for the games (which includes a teaser trailer) here.

2 comments:

Billy said...

Those screenshots don't look very impressive. Think I'll stick with the Virtual Console version.

Brandon said...

It's been a while since I played an Ys game. Maybe I'll give some of the ones I have a spin before I decide on whether or not to spend the cash on this.