Monday, October 27, 2008

RPGs of the Week: Post-Apocalyptic Edition

Enjoy a little post-apocalypse with your Halloween this week. Here are the RPGs shipping out this week (October 27 - November 01, 2008) across all major regions and platforms:

North America
Fallout 3 - Bethesda Softworks - Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC
Master of the Monster Lair - Global A, Atlus - Nintendo DS
Neverland Card Battles - IdeaFactory, Yuke's - PSP
Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode 2 - XBLA, PC

Japan
Avalon Code - Matrix, Marvelous - Nintendo DS
Bokujou Monogatari: Waku-waku Animal March - Marvelous - Nintendo Wii
Cardinal Arc Portable - IdeaFactory - PSP
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (The Best) - Capcom - PSP

Tales of Innocence (Welcome Price) - Alpha Systems, Namco Bandai - Nintendo DS
Valkyrie Profile: Toga wo Seou Mono - tri-Ace, Square Enix - Nintendo DS

Europe
Fallout 3 - Bethesda Softworks - Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon - h.a.n.d., Square Enix - Nintendo Wii
Valkyria Chronicles - Sega - PlayStation 3


Fallout 3 is probably undesputably the biggest release of the week with people swooning over it for the last year or so. It still looks like a shooter to me, but Mass Effect and Fable II taught me that WRPGs have made real progress of late, so I'll probably pick it up sooner or later.

For those who loved the first episode, the latest entry into the Penny Arcade Adventures story is available via Xbox Live and various PC download services.

Japan gets handheld titles almost exclusively this week, with Valkyrie Profile and Avalon Code launching on Saturday with the new Nintendo DSi. Cheaper reprints of Tales of Innocence and Moster Hunter 2 are also available for the RPGamer on a budget, while another Harvest Moon title appears as Japan's only console offering of the week.

Europe snags Fallout 3 a couple of days after North America, along with Sega's shooter-SRPG Valkyria Chronicles a few days ahead of us.

Oh, and uh, Neverland Card Battles (Cardinal Arc Portable in Japan). I hope someone cares about it.

UPDATE: Forgot Master of the Monster Lair. Added it.

Anything looking sweet to you this week?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I am going to get fallout 3 this week I trying to decide, maybe I'll wait for the reviews. I am going to try to olny pick up 1 maybe 2 games from now till christmas... any suggestions?

Brandon said...

For RPGs I'd say Fable II for sure (it's sweet).
I'm getting Last Remnant and Fallout 3 for my 360 (though I don't know if either will be all they're made out to be), Persona 4 for my PS2 (will be awesome, no doubt at all), and have already grabbed Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia for my DS.
Chrono Trigger could be okay if you're really feeling nostalgic, or want to battle CT monsters.
Black Sigil looks sweet if it ever comes out.

For non-RPGs, my top pick is the new Prince of Persia (360/PS3).

I thought there were other games I was planning on picking up, but the above are on the top of my list.