Wednesday, July 30, 2008

MegaTen Announcement Comes Early, Is Another PS2 Game

Continued proof that countdowns to game announcements lead to disappointement, word broke this morning via some scans from the latest Weekly Famitsu that Atlus' mystery game is in fact another Kuzunoha Raidou game for the PlayStation 2. This isn't that big of a shocker, as many MegaTen fans predicted a new Kuzunoha Raidou game, due to the cat on the teaser's bright green eyes (a trademark of Raidou's "sidekick" familiar, Gouto). What is disappointing to me, is the target platform. More on that in a bit, but first, the release details are below:

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou vs. The King of Abbadon is the latest game in the Shin Megami Tensei overarching series, the fifth game in the "Devil Summoner" subseries (I think), and the direct sequel to 2006's Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou vs. The Soulless Army. The game will retail for PlayStation 2 in Japan on October 23, 2009 (just in time for Halloween).

Now, don't get me wrong here, I love my PS2, and games like P4 and AT2 are proof that there are still titles to be excited for on that platform. But frankly, I'm a little disappointed. I enjoy my HD gaming so much more these days, and I have less and less faith that PS2 games are going to make the jump to North America, that it's hard for me to really get worked up for this game. Especially since I consider the previous Kuzunoha Raidou game the weakest MegaTen game of the previous generation. Sure, it's a good game by its own standards, but compared to Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, and Persona 3, it is noticibly lacking in many areas.

Now, I suppose, I should address the inevitable questions regarding this game:

Will it be good?
Of course. Not as good as P4 imo, but good nonetheless.

Will it make it to North America?
Most likely.

When?
My guess would be Q1 2009 (February-ish).

How will it play?
Just like Kuzunoha Raidou vs. The Soulless Army. It is clearly running on the exact same engine as its predecessor (which is probably a big reason it is on PS2).

Will I buy it?
You bet your ass I will.

Will I be happy about it?
Yes and no. Happy for more MegaTen, unhappy for no 7th gen.

Is this the game we expected?
No, the help-wanted ad specifically mentions development on hardware like Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 (doesn't necessarily mean it will be on one or both of those platforms, just that programming is for those kind of engines. It could be an HD PC game. We just don't know). That announcement is apparently further off.

When will that game be announced?
I have no idea. Atlus seems to like to announce their games fairly close to the release dates (a smart tactic, in my opinion). My guess is the game will come out sometime mid to late 2009, so don't hold your breath for an announcement any time before May. (But, of course, anything could happen, and we could get an announcement at TGS. Just don't expect one.)

Remember that the above are nothing more than my opinions on the game based on my own experience, and my predictions should be taken as educated speculation, not fact.

Now, perhaps you think that Kuzunoha Raidou vs. The Soulless Army was the best MegaTen iteration of this or any other generation, and there can never be enough Kuzunoha Raidou. I can respect that opinion. And if that's the case, then I hope Kuzunoha Raidou vs. The King of Abaddon is everything you hope it to be. I'm not trying to hate on this game or its announcement in any way. I'm just a little disappointed.

There were, of course, scans provided with this announcement, and I will include them and a translated summary in a subsequent post (probably later today).

2 comments:

Giggity Gavin said...

Thats too bad that it will play like Kuzunoha Raidou vs. The Soulless Army that game kinda sucked.

Brandon said...

I've actually been playing it for a week or so now (strangely enough), and while I agree with you that the game is very shallow comparatively, it's not as bad as I thought it was a year ago.

...Maybe I'm just THAT starved for a new RPG.