Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Is This Black Sigil's Boxart?

So, I hate to toy with your emotions on this one, but the little 2D RPG known as Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled (perhaps familiar to some as Project Exile) seems to have gotten some box art (shown via GoNintendo). We aren't sure if this is official or not, as Studio Archcraft is notoriously inconsistant with their own website updates, and their publisher, Graffiti Entertainment, isn't much better.

Black Sigil, an indie RPG from a startup studio in Canada, has been looking to fill a nostalgic hole in 16-bit RPG fans' hearts for quite some time now, but has unfortunately been set upon by delay after delay. The game is still rumored to be retailing this September, but we would advise you not to hold your breath for it.

If this is indeed the official boxart (as we would like to believe), then that September release date sure sounds promising. Even though I keep telling myself that this game won't ever be released, and that I should just stop hoping for it, everytime I see those SNES-esque graphics, I just can't seem to help myself...

What's your take? Is Black Sigil worth the wait, or is it nothing more than nostalgic vaporware?

4 comments:

Billy said...

The screenshots look awesome. Is it supposed to play like Secret of Mana?

Brandon said...

I think that it is something closer to Chrono Trigger (i.e. ATB turn-based with the enemies appearing on the screen.)

There's a trailer on GameTrailers (and maybe on Graffiti's website) that shows some battle, if you're interested.

ACiD said...

Had this preordered on Amazon for a year now. They always email me asking if I accept the latest delay or wish to cancel. I always accept the delay, but I hope they don't screw up when it is released, the game still is called Project Exile under my bought items, but has Black Sigil on Amazon's actual website.

Awesome boxart though, million times better than the crap first one that was on the Studio Archcraft forums.

Brandon said...

Yeah, I don't know why, but I just can't give up on this game. I know I should, but those graphics.... its all too tempting to be a lie! T_T