Monday, January 26, 2009

Trailer Catch Up

I think I missed posting about a half a dozen RPG trailers this last week. This is me catching up as best as I can.

Watch the trailers that catch your fancy below.

Blue Dragon Plus
Nintendo DS
Mistwalker, feelplus, AQ Interactive, Ignition
February 24, 2009 (North America)



My Comments: Err... I don't know what to say about this. The jury is still out.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii
Square Enix
January 29, 2009 (Japan), March 24, 2009 (North America)



My Comments: At last! A Wii game that looks like a DS game! Now I think it's safe to say that the 7th generation of video games is in full swing! /sarcasm

Shining Force Feather
Nintendo DS
Flight Plan, Sega
February 19, 2009 (Japan)



My Comments: I like the anime scenes. I don't know if it's enough to make me excited for another SRPG on the DS, but it at least doesn't hurt its chances.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Xbox 360
tri-Ace, Square Enix
February 19, 2009 (Japan), February 24, 2009 (North America), April 24, 2009 (Europe)



My Comments: It's interesting to see the differences between the Japanese trailers and the North American ones. This trailer is decided trying to come off as more "hardcore" than its Japanese relatives, and actually does a pretty good job at it. Though some of the voice acting may not live up to everyone's standards, "Calnus, Engage!" was a pretty cool line. Especially considering Star Ocean's admitted Star Trek influence.

This is this game's first English trailer that I actually like.

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Nintendo DS
tri-Ace, Square Enix
March 17, 2009 (North America)



My Comments: The CG is cool, and the tag lines are catchy, but it's still pretty clear that people have a hard time making DS games look really interesting. If you didn't know, you might think, "Whoa! I wonder what this is going to be like!" But then you'd see the DS SRPG gameplay and go, "Oh."

What do you guys think?

No comments: