Friday, January 9, 2009

Phantasy Star Zero Heading to North America and Europe, Only 1 Year Late!

Okay, I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news: Sega has just confirmed that they will be bringing their recent DS MMO Phantasy Star Zero to North American and European markets this year! All of the space opera MMOing your little heart can handle can now be with you wherever you go.

The bad news: "This year" is sort of a relative term, as Sega has announced that the game will be arriving next winter (i.e. November or December at the earliest).

While I'm all about Sega bringing their RPGs to English-speaking audiences, I seriously have to question if their translators are really that slow, or if Sega of Japan has terrible communication with the rest of the company.

Sega of Japan: "Hey, Sega of America. Just a head's up, we're releasing a new game tomorrow. Might want to think about translating it eventually."

Sega of America: "Oh, that's nice, I guess. Throw it on that pile. Someone will get to it eventually."

I mean, when Konami can get Suikoden Tierkreis to us within a few months (and Castlevania during the same week), Square Enix and Namco Bandai can get us titles within a month, and even a small company like Atlus can manage to get us Persona 4 within 6 months of its Japanese release, I really have to wonder what Sega's problem is.

C'mon Sega, I want to believe you aren't as retarded as you come off.

2 comments:

Billy said...

Geez, that is ridiculous. My guess is they don't want to cannibalize Phantasy Star Portable's sales by releasing them too close together, since Zero is supposed to be the superior game.

Brandon said...

I suppose I could see that. But I have the same complaint about World Destruction/Sands of Destruction.

Like, why does it take an entire year for this? And even if it does, why does Sega announce that it will take them a year?

NIS America spends quite a lot of time between Japanese and North American releases, but generally doesn't announce their games until they're about 6 months away from release.

I don't know, Sega just seems silly to me.