Monday, January 19, 2009

RPGs of the Week: Star Tonelico Edition

Happy Monday. Ready for another week of RPG releases? I hope so, since this is basically the only week of big RPGs in North America. Everything else won't really be out until next month.

So, without further ado, here are the RPGs that are hitting stores this week (January 19 - 23, 2009) across all three major regions:

North America
Ar Tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica - Gust, NIS America - PlayStation 2
Star Ocean: Second Evolution - tri-Ace, Tose, Square Enix - PSP

Japan
Fragile: Sayonara Tsuki no Haikyo - Tri-Crescendo, Namco Bandai - Nintendo Wii
Zill O'll Infinite Plus - Konami - PSP

Europe
Darkfall Online - Razorwax, Aventurine S.A. - PC

Depending on your preference, both Ar Tonelico II and the PSP port of Star Ocean 2 are (relatively) big titles here in North America. Also, portable RPG fans can grab the PSP port of last year's PS2 Mana Khemia.

UPDATE: Actually, Mana Khemia for PSP might have been pushed back. We're waiting on some official word from NIS.

Japan bags my highly anticipated Fragile: Farewell Lunar Ruins, as well as the obscure PSP title Zill O'll Infinite Plus.

Europe gets a new MMO for everyone who is into that sort of thing.

I'm personally pretty excited for my copy of Ar Tonelico II to arrive from RosenQueen. I really loved the first game, and am a big fan of Gust's games.

Star Ocean 2 is one of my all time favorite PS1 RPGs, though I don't really appreciate the character redesigns that are in the new PSP port. Not that it matters since I can just play my original copy of SO2 whenever.

I won't be picking up Fragile this week, though it is quite tempting...

What's looking sweet to you this week?

2 comments:

Billy said...

Looks like Mana Khemia Portable isn't going to make its release date; Amazon is now saying it will be available on February 28. Anyways I'm picking up Ar tonelico II this week. Still need to get around to playing the first one though!

Brandon said...

hmm... strange. NIS (and RosenQueen) still list it as due out in January, but all the retailers have different dates (some in February, some in March).

I've taken it off this week's RPGs of the Week until I get some official word.

Thanks for the heads-up!