Monday, August 11, 2008

Versing Your Agito with New Final Fantasy XIII Scans

Some new-ish screens and small trickles of "information" regarding Square Enix's latest titles in their other flagship series, Final Fantasy, have come down from above via the recent edition of Jump.

First up, the Final Fantasy XIII scan is definitely the most "detailed" of the three (not actually an accomplishment in this case), giving "explanations" of four new screenshots, most of which show off Lightning in various shots with "that guy in the toque" and "that archer chick." (I know "that guy in the toque" has a name, I just can't remember what it is right now.)

The first one shows off a couple of people (who look to me like Lightning and "that guy in the toque") surrounded by blue. The caption explains that the blue is actually a lake, and that the huge... thing just fell into it, causing the waves. ...So, are they floating, or just standing on the water? I don't know?

Next are a couple of screens with the three "revealed" characters standing around, looking depressed (or worried, so some similar emotion). Apparently, the water in the lake mentioned above has hardened somehow, and these pics are taken on it (the lake, that is). Also, "that archer chick" is apparently from the "Lower World."

Finally, the last shot explains that the heroes hear a voice, look up, and notice that they are surrounded by enemy forces! Why are they being chased?

The next scan for Final Fantasy Versus XIII, which only shows off two new screens. I could translate what the captions say, but they offer nothing but a literal description of the shots. Which is, there is a guy wearing black, with a solemn expression, who has just climbed a staircase. Then, there is a girl in a white dress looking at a strange painting.

Like, stop the presses! Is she really looking at a painting!? Breaking news: art appreciation in Final Fantasy Versus XIII CONFIRMED!

Finally is the cell-phone and PSP Final Fantasy Agito XIII. Again, only two screens for this one, but somehow, even less information than the previous two.

All we get is the fact that there are some people (I won't attempt a guess at their genders right now) who are in a magic institution. Also? They fight a soldier, who we can guess may or may not be an enemy. Oh, and the game will also be on PSP. Yes, that really is all it says. I couldn't make this stuff up, I promise.

Now, if you will, please take a moment to let this raging torrent of information soak in. Yes, this is Final Fantasy XIII marketing at its finest. 8 "new" "screens." No real info. No gameplay. Everyone wants these games. We get it.

Honestly? I'm really tired of Final Fantasy XIII already. For a game well over a year away with no gameplay details shown or revealed, we sure hear about it an awful lot. Don't even get me started on Versus or Agito.

Dear Square Enix: When you have a game to show me, please call and we will have a nice long chat, and enthusiastic coverage. Until then, stfujpeg. Thanks.

Your friend,
Brandon

4 comments:

Billy said...

Oh Final Fantasy, you know I can't resist your pastel colors, improbable hairdos and heroes of indeterminate gender. The wait for actual gameplay footage is getting annoying though. Seriously, just a realtime shot of Lightning walking around some environment would probably tide me over for a month.

ACiD said...

PE3 and FFXIII agito are PSP only now. No cellphone versions at all according to neogaf. I don't know what it says in that article, but I didn't see anything but PSP labeled as the platform.

Brandon said...

@ACiD: Hm, that may be, but the article actually announces a PSP version (JP=PSP-ban), which would suggest that there is another version (i.e. the cell phone version).
Again, I don't know where NeoGAF got such information, but I haven't heard any official or reliable information to the effect of "now PSP only," so I can't report it in good conscience. (That and I don't put much stock in anything on the GAF anymore.)

Unknown said...

I want to see gameplay too, but it's hard to get angry when they still give us fairly interesting screenshots like this.

If you still don't have a PS3 (or 360, for that matter) you might want to enter this Stacker 2 contest going on. Right now there are less than 150 entrants so chances of winning are pretty decent. All you have to do is design a 6 Hour Power t-shirt and you could win the system of your choice. Along with that you'll get 10 t-shirts with your design on it, a year's supply of 6 Hour Power energy shots, and a copy of Rise of the Argonauts.

Contest details are here: http://www.brickfish.com/Entertainment/Stacker2?tab=overview I hope you don't mind me mentioning this one your blog. I work with them so let me know if you have any questions or enter and I'll vote for your design. Good luck.

PS: If it's from GAF, Believe!

Franklin Keane
www.6hrpower.com
Franklin6hrpower@gmail.com