Monday, August 25, 2008

RPGs of the Week: The Summer Drought is Over Edition

I hate summer. Summer means excessive heat, sunburns, mosquitos, summer jobs, and (perhaps worst of all) a dearth of new games. The good news, however, is summer is on its last legs, and the video games have again begun to flow.

Feast your eyes upon the firstfruits of the glorious harvest of fall/winter 2008, and keep in mind that we are but on the tip of the iceberg. The below listed RPGs are shipping this week (August 25-30) across all three major regions.

North America
Castle Crashers - The Behemoth - XBLA
Digimon World Championship - Epics, Namco Bandai - Nintendo DS
Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice - Nippon Ichi, NIS America - PlayStation 3
Falling Stars - Ivolgamus, Agetec - PlayStation 2
From the Abyss - Sonic Powered, Aksys - Nintendo DS
Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness - Marvelous, Natsume - Nintendo DS
Tales of Vesperia - Namco Bandai - Xbox 360

Japan
Tactical Guild - Success - Nintendo DS
Too Human - Silicon Knights, Microsoft - Xbox 360
Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaiki da. (The Best) - Acquire, SCEI - PSP

Europe
Too Human - Silicon Knights, Microsoft - Xbox 360

The biggest title this week is most definitely Namco Bandai's latest iteration of the long-running Tales of series, Tales of Vesperia for Xbox 360. As many of you know, I have been holding my breath waiting for this game for quite a while now, and its arrival is nearly upon us. Here's hoping my Special Edition ships in a timely fashion or I may end up buying a standard edition somewhere just so I don't have to wait any longer.

For those who prefer their RPGs more tactical, Disgaea 3 for PlayStation 3 sees North American shores this week, and gamers on the go should appreciate the SNES-inspired hack 'n slash fest that is From the Abyss. Meanwhile, those who just want to get down and farm will have yet another Harvest Moon title to keep them busy, and Xbox Live Arcaders have been anticipating Castle Crashers (or so I'm told).

With really something for everyone this week, what's looking sweet to you?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The RPGs I'm getting this fall are Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Fable 2, Fallout 3, and The Last Remnant. Should keep me busy for a while. What about you Brandon?

Brandon said...

Stand back, here comes the disgusting list of customer whorism.

Tales of Vesperia (360)
Infinite Undiscovery (360)
The Last Remnant (360)
Fable II (360)
Fallout 3 (360)
Rise of the Argonauts (360)
Golden Axe: Beast Rider (360) (mostly an RPG, apparently)
Persona 4 (PS2)
Ar Tonelico II (PS2)
Black Sigil (DS) (assuming it actually DOES come out this fall)
World Destruction (DS) (import)
Chrono Trigger (DS) (maybe)
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Wii) (maybe)

(Whew) I think I might be forgetting a few.

All my money and time devoted to video games this fall/winter CONFIRMED.

Anonymous said...

Impressive list. Golden Axe Beast Rider looks horrible IMO. I totally forgot about Persona 4, that's a must buy too.

Brandon said...

I never said I was expecting all the games on my list to actually be good. :P

I expect Beast Rider to provide Tyris Flare ass and monster riding. If it does anything besides that, I'll be stoked.

In fact, the only games on that list I actually have high hopes for are ToV, IU, and P4. The others I'll own mostly just for the collection. I think I'm a little weird like that, but it gives me a nice backlog to fall back on when I'm bored. :)

Billy said...

Luminous Arc 2, Eternal Poison, Chrono Trigger, Persona 4, Ar tonelico II, and Yggdra Union for me. I also want to pick up FF4 and DQ4 for DS but those might have to wait a while.

Brandon said...

Oh yeah, I forgot about Eternal Poison. I'll be getting that and Zoids Assault mostly just because I love Atlus. I'll be surprised if they even get out of the cellophane. :P

I'm on the fence with Luminous Arc II. I have the first one and it was way too boring. I won't rule it out though.

Brandon said...

Oh! Also forgot Dokopon Kingdom and AWAY: Shuffle Dungeon. If ASH, Blue Dragon Plus, and Soma Bringer make the jump, I'll also pick those up.

Man, I'm going to be so poor.

Billy said...

I had my eye on Mana Khemia PSP too, but apparently it's been pushed back to next year (?). Maybe just as well, I don't know where I'm going to find the time to play the games I already have.

Unknown said...

Disgaea 3 looks awesome so I'm probably gong to pick that up soon. My most anticipated RPGs coming out by the end of the year though are definitely Chrono Trigger DS and Valkyria Chronicles.

By the way, if you guys don't have both a PS3 and Xbox 360 yet, you're probably going to be missing out on a lot of killer RPGs... I suggest you guys take a look at this Stacker 2 contest going on where you can win the system of your choice. Right now there are less than 250 entrants so those are some pretty decent odds when you've got nothing lose... All you need to do to enter is design a 6 Hour Power t-shirt, which is surprisingly easy to do online. Along with the system you can win a copy of Codemasters upcoming RPG Rise of the Argonauts and a year's supply of 6 Hour Power energy shots (which are great for gaming sessions). Check out the contest details here: http://www.brickfish.com/Entertainment/Stacker2?tab=overview

By the way, I hope you don't mind me commenting on your post, Brandon. If any of you guys enter, feel free to send me an e-mail and I'll vote for your designs. I work with 6HP, so let me know if you have any questions too. Good luck to everyone that enters.

Franklin Keane
www.6hrpower.com
Franklin6hrpower@gmail.com