Saturday, August 16, 2008

Valkyria Chronicles *Finally* Gets a Release Date

The PlayStation 3 is a power house of multithread processing and... uh... crappy motion controls? What it certainly is not is a home to RPGs. Well Sega has decided to step up and fill that void (sort of) with a cell shaded World War II SRPG/third person shooter/real-time strategy game (have I missed anything in there?) called Valkyria Chronicles.

Set in the fictional European country of Gallia, Valkyria Chronicles follows a group of Gallian nationals who form a civilian military unit in order to defend their small, autonomous country from invading forces.

Japan has had access to this game since April, and though Sega has promised the game will see light on North American shores, they have been incredibly quiet on any real details. Well, PS3 owners, you can stop holding your breath. Valkyria Chronicles has been officially announced for release on November 11, 2008 with a European version supposedly close to that. As an added bonus for the purists among you, the game will feature a dual-language track, with the Japanese voices optional in case you don't like listening to English.

I personally love this game's art direction, but can't really say that I'm a huge fan of the SRPG/third person shooting/RTS hybrid genre. But maybe you are?

3 comments:

Chelsie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Billy said...

This one's definitely on my list. Maybe the best reason to get a PS3 instead of a 360 right now. I hope this starts a trend of Miyazaki-inspired art in videogames.

Brandon said...

I don't know. As I said above, I absolutely love the art style, and the action element of the game looks cool, but at the end of the day, its still mostly an SRPG.

I know there are definitely SRPG diehards out there, but I'm just not one of them. Working on a battle for over an hour, only to have your squad/leader wiped out at the last moment makes me want to throw controllers out the window. And I think characters die permanently in this game which is a huge gripe of mine in SRPGs (*cough* Fire Emblem *cough*).

For me this game is like "I'd get it if I had the console, but I won't get a console just to get this game." To each his own though.