Monday, March 16, 2009

RPGs of the Week: Variety Edition

Good morning and welcome to another new week.

Last week was veeeerrrry slow in terms of both releases and news. Maybe it's just me?

Anyway, this week - at least in the releases department - is a lot more active with something for just about everyone. Take a look below at the RPGs hitting shelves this week (March 16 - 20, 2009) around the world.

North America
Ether Saga Online - Perfect World - PC
The Last Remnant - Square Enix - PC
Rune Factory Frontier - Marvelous, XSEED - Nintendo Wii
Runes of Magic - Runewaker, Frogster - PC
Suikoden Tierkreis - Konami - Nintendo DS
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - tri-Ace, Square Enix - Nintendo DS

Japan
Bokujou Monogatari: Sugar Village to Minna no Negai - Marvelous - PSP
Brandish: The Dark Revenant - Falcolm - PSP
Dengeki Gakuen RPG: Cross of Venus - ASCII Media Works - Nintendo DS
Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3: Izayoi Aizouban - Koei - PSP
The Last Remnant - Square Enix - PC
Super Robot Taisen K - Banpresto, Namco Bandai - Nintendo DS
Tokimeki Fantasy LaTale: Hajimete Kit - Actoz Soft, E-Frontier - PC

Europe
Disgaea DS - Nippon Ichi, Square Enix - Nintendo DS
The Last Remnant - Square Enix - PC
Mass Effect (Classics) - BioWare, Microsoft - Xbox 360
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - tri-Ace, Square Enix - Nintendo DS

Lots of stuff this week, right?

North America bags two MMOs, the Wii remake of Rune Factory, and Suikoden Tierkreis, while sharing the release of the DS Valkyrie Profile with Europe.

Japan gets yet another handheld Harvest Moon, the PSP remake of Brandish, a licenced cross-over RPG on the DS, a licenced PSP title, another Super Robot Taisen title, and another MMO. (Whew)

Europe nets themselves Disgaea's DS port/remake as well as the budget re-release of Mass Effect, in addition to the DS Valkyrie Profile.

Also, the PC version of last year's The Last Remnant is hitting worldwide late this week. It contains a few additions to its Xbox 360 sibling, though whether or not the texture pop-in and other technical issues have been resolved is yet unknown.

If The Last Remnant on PC is a vast improvement over the 360 version, I might consider picking it up. I didn't consider the 360 version to be "broken" as a lot of critics claimed it to be, but if there is a good reason to try it again, I sure would like that leader limit removed, y'know?

I'll probably give VP and the new Suikoden a spin as well, but I'm honestly not expecting much. I'll also see if I can convince someone I know with a Wii to buy Rune Factory so I can see if it's any good.

What's on your radar this week?

2 comments:

zerolocked said...

I'm getting Rune Factory Frontier when I get some more funds. I spent all my game money on Resident Evil 5...

Brandon said...

Ah, I still haven't got RE5 yet. I want it, but I don't think I've ever bought a Resident Evil game at full price yet, and I own them all. That's got to be some kind of lame accomplishment. O_o

I'll get Rune Factory Frontier when I eventually buy a Wii (probably next time I go to Japan).