Tuesday, March 17, 2009

EA Officially Announces Mass Effect 2

I really hope this isn't surprising to anyone, but just in case: Electronic Arts has just announced that it will be releasing the sequel to the original Mass Effect. Are you surprised?

The game will reportedly be available for Xbox 360 and PC sometime next year, and will expand on the original in various ways. Dr. Ray Muzyka, CEO of BioWare and Vice President of EA elaborates:

"We're going to surpass the extraordinary gaming experience we brought our fans in Mass Effect by delivering intensified combat and expanded weapon options as well as increased depth of planet exploration, all while delivering a powerful, emotionally engaging story."

So yeah. No word on loading elevators at this time, but we'll keep you posted.

It's a little disappointing that the game won't be available until next year, but I guess it makes sense with Dragon Age hitting this year.

Anyone looking forward to more intergalactic exploration? I think I might be. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yessssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

To answer your question, yes, I am looking forward to Mass Effect 2 next year. Though I'm surprised its not multi-platform since its now EA.

Brandon, I was just wondering which WRPG's you were looking forward to this year? I know you're big into JRPGs, I'm curious if you play WRPG's as much or at all? I'm really looking forward to Dragon Age Origins, The Witcher Rise of the White Wolf, Risen, and maybe Alpha Protocol...

P.S. Nice job on the new look of the site. I like it.

Brandon said...

@Jon:
i'm glad you like the new site layout. ^_^

i don't know enough about BioWare's philosophy with multiplat games to make an extremely intelligent guess as to the multiplat status of Mass Effect. Microsoft published the first one, but BioWare clearly retained the IP rights, which now belong to EA.

Microsoft may have a deal going with EA to keep the games exclusive to 360 and Windows, or EA may just be waiting to release the first Mass Effect on the Triple later. honestly, I can't make a great guess on this one.

anyhow, WRPGs.

i used to play PC WRPGs quite a bit, but lost interest during the 5th and 6th console generations. i've picked up a few since the 7th gen started, and I really enjoyed Mass Effect and Fable II. i've been meaning to give Jade Empire a once-through at some point as well. i've tried to like Fallout 3, but I just can't for some reason.

i'm tentatively looking forward to Mass Effect 2, but the other titles you mentioned are more of a "wait and see" position with me. i don't have as much time as i used to to game, and i'm not loyal to any WRPG franchise, so i'll wait to see if they're worth the money and time.

it's kind of an awkward time. we still hardly know anything about what's coming out this year, especially on the 360, so i don't really know what to expect.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply!