Monday, March 2, 2009

RPGs of the Week: Lots of Sega Edition

Good morning and welcome to March and a new week!

I've been on something of a sabbatical for the past few days, having spent nearly every waking moment on my couch playing the living crap out of Star Ocean 4. I have a The First 3 Hours preview coming up early this week, so you can look forward to that. :)

In terms of RPG releases, March again improves on the volume of February, though this week is a little slim pickings unless you have very specific tastes. Check out what's hitting shelves this week (March 2 - 6, 2009).

North America
EVE Online - CCP, Atari - PC
Phantasy Star Portable - Sega - PSP
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen - Quest, Square Enix - WVC

Japan
7th Dragon - Sega - Nintendo DS
Senjou no Valkyria (The Best) - Sega - PlayStation 3

Europe
AWAY: Shuffle Dungeon - Mistwalker, Artoon, Majesco - Nintendo DS
Battle Fantasia - Arc System Works, 505 Games - Xbox 360, PlayStation 3

North America gets a re-release of EVE Online, and the gimped North American port of Phantasy Star Portable (thanks a lot, Sega). Also, the SNES obscure classic Ogre Battle is getting a virtual re-release via the Wii Virtual Console.

Japan gets the neo-retro RPG project 7th Dragon, as well as a budget re-release of the highly-acclaimed low-selling Valkyria Chronicles.

Europe bags the puzzle/action-RPG AWAY: Shuffle Dungeon and the odd fighter/action-RPG mix Battle Fantasia.

I'm passing on all the North American releases this week, though I know there are some hardcore Ogre Battle fans that will be downloading the virtual console port immediately. I might give 7th Dragon a whirl to see how this neo-retro thing goes down.

What's looking sweet to you?

3 comments:

Billy said...

I wasn't super impressed with the demo of Phantasy Star Portable so I'm not picking up the game right away, though I might later on if I can find it cheap enough. Think I'll break out the Sega Genesis Collection and enjoy some old-school Phantasy Star instead.

Brandon said...

poor Phantasy Star. how you have fallen. :(

Billy said...

I ended up finding both PS2 editions of Phantasy Star Universe for $15 each, so that's about my target price for this one. The way new game prices are freefalling these days, it may not take too long.