Tuesday, March 17, 2009

New Alpha Protocol Trailer Still Fails to Look Like an RPG

Sega just dropped a new trailer for their upcoming(?) spy RPG, Alpha Protocol, developed by Obsidian (KOTOR2, Neverwinter Nights 2).

I have some rhetoric to dispense on the subject of this game, but I will wait until you watch the trailer to do so. Go ahead.



How was it? Okay, let me just say that I don't see anything that resembles an RPG in any of the footage I've seen of this game to date.

There are a few RPGs that don't really "feel" like RPGs, if that makes any sense. Notable examples are Mass Effect and Fallout 3. Don't get me wrong, they're fun games, but they just don't scream "RPG!" to me. More like "shooter marketed to RPG fans!" Maybe I'm way off base here?

So far, Alpha Protocol appears to be hanging out in the same crowd. "Hey," it says, "I look and play like a shooter, but I'm really an RPG in my heart."

I suppose this brings up that sticky age-old debate of "what is an RPG anyway?" that I don't really feel like exploring here. I'm just saying that Sega shouldn't slap "RPG" right in the trailer and not show me any RPGing. Just a personal request.

Alpha Protocol will be available for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC someday.

What's your take on this one?

No comments: