Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Opinion Fest 2008: Biggest Disappointment

Time to get Opinion Fest 2008 underway. I'm going to start with the "bad" awards so we can get those out of the way first.

2008 had a lot of ups and downs. This award goes to the games that brought some of the biggest downs to the RPGing world. Many of these big downs came from hopes of wondrous ups, only to be smashed right in front of us. Check out the three biggest disappointments of 2008.

3rd: Black Sigil pushed back AGAIN

How many times does this make it? I don’t know exactly who to point fingers at here, but seriously, how long must I wait for this game? It’s been years, you guys. YEARS.
Just pick a date and ship it to stores already. Mmmkay?

2nd: Infinite Undiscovery’s voice work

I was very very excited for Infinite Undiscovery. I love tri-Ace, and so to see a new IP from them pushing the action-RPG genre in new ways was more than a little exciting, especially considering the game had the backing of both Microsoft and Square Enix. Everything I saw of the game up until release was nothing but confirmation that the game was indeed going to kick some serious ass.

Then the English dub came along and ruined everything.
Though a few voice actors managed to deliver decent performances, the vast majority felt half-assed at best, absolutely butchering any real feeling that the game tries to deliver. I still like this game, but I find myself shaking my head almost constantly at how terribly the English cast screwed this up.

Honestly Square Enix North America, what the hell were you thinking? You could have at least left the Japanese track on it if you didn’t want to make an effort.

1st: Continued developer support of the DS with no end in sight

I’m going to level with you. I have a DS, and I can’t stand the damn thing. The graphics are terrible, the audio quality is grating, the console is poorly made and uncomfortable to hold, and squinting at the screen for more than 10 minutes is mind-numbing. And yet developers – North American and Japanese alike – love to develop games for the thing like it’s going out of style. If someone teases a game, my first guess is always “another sh*tty DS game,” and sadly, I’m usually right.

All of this would be forgivable if the DS garnered the same interest as every other handheld in the history of the world. Y’know, a respectable install base and the occasional good release. But no. Everyone in the damn world owns one of these little buggers, letting every single developer know that its okay to make sub-par games all of the time. Dammit, DS. Go the hell away.

No comments: