Monday, January 25, 2010

RPGs of the Week: Massively Effective Edition

This has to be some kind of RPG record. Here we are, the last week of January - traditionally one of the slowest, if not the slowest month for RPG releases - and we've had at least one RPG per week. This trend is highly encouraging, and one that I hope continues throughout 2010.

...Except now that I said that, it might jinx it. Crap.

Anyways, check out what RPGs are hitting shelves near you this week (January 25 - 30, 2010):

North America
Mass Effect 2 – BioWare, EA – Xbox 360, PC

Japan
Ar Tonelico III: Sekai Shuuen no Hikigane wa Shoujo no Uta ga Hiku – Gust, Namco Bandai – PlayStation 3
Dragon Quest VI: Maboroshi no Daichi – ArtePiazza, Square Enix – Nintendo DS
End of Eternity – tri-Ace, Sega – Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
Last Rebellion – Hit Maker, Nippon Ichi – PlayStation 3
Tales of Destiny 2 (The Best) – Namco Bandai – PSP
Tales of Rebirth (The Best) – Namco Bandai – PSP

Europe
Mass Effect 2 – BioWare, EA – Xbox 360, PC

Japan has a huge flood of RPGs this week, with three at once for the PS3. We're just breaking records all over the place this week. Namdai and Gust's latest in the Ar Tonelico series, along with Nippon Ichi's first all 3D PS3 title, Last Rebellion, and tri-Ace's first true multiplatform title ever, End of Eternity. The choice is much easier on 360 with just End of Eternity. Meanwhile, the last of Square Enix's Dragon Quest DS remakes, Dragon Quest VI is out this week. Plus two budget reprints of Tales of ports for the PSP, and you have yourself a whole lot of choice in Japan this week.

North America and Europe have decidedly less to choose from, but the only choice is thankfully a good one with BioWare's latest sci-fi epic, Mass Effect 2.

Anything looking worth your cash this week?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mass Effect 2! Can't wait.

Billy said...

Mass Effect 2 looks kind of cool, but I can definitely wait. I also never played the first one so I'm not sure whether 2 would be a good place to jump in. I'll probably pick ME2 up and give it a try when I can get it for around $20 or something.

Brandon said...

That sucks that you missed the original Mass Effect - it was highly awesome! It's not very long (I finished it in 20-25 hours) and I honestly couldn't put it down.

From everything I've read, it sounds like ME2 is better in every way, so I'm having a hard time not buying it today.

However, I promised myself I would finish some other stuff before I buy ME2 (not the least of which is still Dragon Age).

I'll probably get it sometime next month...

sav said...

waiting for it to be $20 ? lol.

well that wait will be pretty long i'd say.

anyway i just played it for a bit, i'd say it's better than the first, not to mention miranda too haha.

i too didn't play much of the first one but i'll play this one for sure.

9/10 easy if not higher.

good game.



on that note i'm suprised we're getting last rebellion and resonense of fate within the next 2 months it seems, also FF13 and WKC is already out.

talk about rpg overload lool.

Billy said...

Decided to check out Mass Effect on your recommendation. :) I finally had to order it from GameQuestDirect after finding it out of stock at Amazon, and no copies at my local Target, Microcenter, or Best Buy. Is it going out of print or something? You'd think that with a big sequel coming out they'd expect a surge of interest in the original game.

Brandon said...

@Billy:

Hm, that's weird. It should be a Platinum Hits title, and not too hard to track down.

I suppose you could always download it via Games on Demand or get it on a PC vendor like Steam or D2D.

sav said...

i'm about half way more more into the game, really good for sure.

sure some things could be better but still definitely a canidate for goty 2010.

but hold on what are we talking about here ?

me1 or me22 availability ? lol.

me1 might be pretty hard to find new in stores, but i see loads of me2 all over, it's a new game an shouldn't be in no shortage whatsoever.

i seen some CE copies at walmart aswell, looks good for only 10 bucks more.