Tuesday, June 16, 2009

This is what Dragon Quest IX would be like if you could actually play it

Seems like we're talking a lot about heavily delayed games this week (I'm sure Final Fantasy Versus XIII is bound to show up somewhere this week too :P). Be that as it may, Square Enix dropped off a lengthy video for Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito.

This isn't just some trailer, however. It's something closer to a moving instruction booklet. Actually, maybe an infomercial is a better comparison? Either way, in case you are dying to play this game so badly that your head might explode, the following 7+ minutes of explanatory gameplay should either soothe that ache, or drive you to insanity. I can't guarantee either.



With how many years this game has been pushing back release dates, I'm sure Square Enix is really scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to come up with stuff to put in trailers. And this is where we are. Instructions on how to play a game that doesn't have a release date. Incredible.

Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito will be available for Nintendo DS sometime before 2057 (I think) in Japan. Though some claim that we'll see it this year, I don't want to give you any false hope.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have wet dreams about this trailer... I've watched this trailer a couple times now and I am more excited for this game everytime I do.
One question I have is that orignally the game was going to have an action adventure battle system included in it, then after many complants they added back in the old battle system but were going to use the action adventure battle system in some parts of the game or something to that effect.. But I don't see any evidence of that happening in this trailer... did they scrap that battle system completely?

Brandon said...

from what I understand, the action portion of the game has been completely removed due to Japanese fans having an aneurysm over it.

I don't have a link to prove it, but I've heard that Square Enix has denied that an action battle system ever existed in the first place.

sorry to disappoint you. :(

Unknown said...

:( thanks.