Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Last Remnant Might Not Come to PlayStation 3 After All

Maybe you remember a game called The Last Remnant? It was Square Enix's first 7th generation game, their first multiplatform project, their first game using a licensed game engine (the Unreal Engine 3), and what they called 'An RPG for the World.'

Though the game was announced for worldwide release on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Square Enix later announced that the game would premier first on Xbox 360 worldwide, then be followed by a PC version, and would eventually be released on PlayStation 3 later.

As you may recall, the Xbox 360 and PC versions are done and out worldwide, though neither were particularly well-received (especially by critics in the West). Despite this, the sales weren't what I would have considered bad, and the game itself employs some great ideas.

However, since the game's PC release in March, any news of this title has fallen silent, and until recently, I completely forgot about it.

Well at a recent shareholder's meeting in Japan, Square Enix boss Yoichi Wada expressed concern over the game's profitibility, declining to confirm if the game was indeed going to make the leap to Sony's platform.

Though Sony fanboys like to scream "M$ paid Square off!!1," the fact that UE3 and PS3 don't always get along well is well-documented, and the choice to release the more developed version first doesn't seem incredibly far-fetched to me.

With the game noticibly absent at E3, and considering how much the press over here has hated the game, I myself have been wondering what has befallen the once-multiplat title. Wada's hesitance to confirm the PS3 version at a share-holder meeting, and his expressing concern over the game's profitibility, suggests that the PS3 version's future may indeed be uncertain.

What do you think? Should the game come out for PS3 no matter what? Are you content to have it just on 360 and PC? Do you even care about this game at all?

[Destructoid]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it really such a shame, I can't believe this game not going to PS3. For me personally I played on my 360,love this game because the graphics and hope this game has better attention, but yeah it seems like this game only for hardcore J-RPG fans. >_< .It has same fate with Infinite Undiscovery though which I put same rank with this game.
But I really2 hope Star Ocean TLH can make it to PS3 in the future with extra content (costumes, extra characters, etc) like Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata (drools...*_*). My PS3 still dusty in the corner with no game, I use it only for watching blu-ray player (Oooh FFAC Complete is freaking awesome..).

Brandon said...

I agree that it's a shame that PS3 owners might not get this game. Square Enix did, after all, originally promise them the game would come out.

However, I have to disagree with you on SO4 and ToV going to PS3 with extra content. As a gamer who bought both games when they first came out, seeing them ported elsewhere with other content is insulting.

If games are going to be multiplatform, release them multiplatform, not timed exclusive. That way, if they want to make extra content, everyone can have it. Why should I pay Namdai or Squenix to give other gamers the better version?

Just my own personal opinion.

P.S. It's nice to see you comment again k4z3. Haven't seen you around recently. :)

zerolocked said...

I like TLR for the Xbox 360, really good game to get into if you have the time to REALLY get into it. And I don't care rather it goes multi-platform or not. However, if they said it would be released on the PS3 then changed their minds thats very wrong on Sony's part.

I'm only looking forward to three good rpgs anyway: Magna Carta II, Resonance of Fate and Final Fantasy XIII. And I'm pretty sure their all still headed for the 360.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be highly disappointed if this doesn't come out for the PS3 ):
TLR was actually my favorite game on the 360, and I even bought the PC version despite my general avoidance of PC games -- sadly there were some problems with installation and I STILL can't play it, but I can't bear to sell it back. I was really looking forward to having an improved version for a console...

Justin said...

I would love to have played it. I don't have a 360 or a PC and was looking forward to the game. I hope they go through with what they said. : (