Thursday, June 4, 2009

E3 2009: Konami Announces Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

During their E3 press conference yesterday, Konami took a moment to announce the next entry in the long-running ARPG series Castlevania, titled Lords of Shadow, for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Originally announced as an original IP last year at Leipzig, Konami has seemingly redressed the title as a member of the Castlevania franchise. European developer MercurySteam will remain in charge of game's creation, but Hideo Kojima (of Metal Gear Solid fame) will apparently be lending his support and the support of his Kojima Productions Studio as well.

There is currently no confirmation of series vetrans Kouji Igarashi (IGA) or Ayami Kojima (who has traditionally handled the gothic-style artwork for the majority of the series) on the project.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is due for release on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 sometime in 2010.


I have to say that I'm a little bit uneasy about this. Castlevania without Igarashi? And no Ayami Kojima to at least add to the game's style? Worrisome. And while I respect Hideo Kojima for creating a franchise that is so well-loved, I never particularly enjoyed the MGS series, and I don't really understand why the internet is obsessed with Kojima as a Japanese Jesus of game development.

That said, the trailer (above) is completely badass, so I'm not ready to write the game off until I've seen a lot more of it. However, I can't help but feel that the game will abandon its RPG functionality. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: