Thursday, October 1, 2009

TGS 2009 Wrap-Up: I am Underwhelmed

If you read any other gaming sites, you've probably heard someone say that they are worried about the future of the Japanese game development industry. I've never really liked those quotes, probably because I grew up playing Japanese games, and still prefer a good JRPG over a Western-style one.

But to be completely frank, TGS blew this year.

Not only were there no real new announcements, the general exposure of the games that were there was completely underwhelming.

Where was Mistwalker? Where is Square Enix going after FFXIII? What is Namco Bandai doing after Tales of Graces? Is End of Eternity Sega's last RPG effort on HD consoles? What is Atlus up to these days? Has Microsoft really given up on the Japanese market? All of these questions and more are left completely unanswered as TGS closes down for another year.

At the end of the day, I'm at the same place as I was before the show. Nothing new on my radar. Nothing huge to look forward to, either. For all the money that the exhibitors paid to be there, the show could have just as easily not been held and my interest level would be the same.

Hey, I know there is that H1N1 thing plus a crappy economy, but c'mon, TGS was just sad.

No comments: