Wednesday, October 21, 2009

RPGs of the Week: Is Borderlands an RPG? Edition

I don't want to deal with 'what is an RPG?' It's a nasty question, and one that, even after two decades of gaming, I don't feel confident in answering. So then, Borderlands, a game that has the attention of both the RPGaming and the cooperative FPS communities comes along, puts a gun to my head, and says "do I get coverage from you?"

"Kind of," I respond. "I'll throw you on the weekly release list. Is that good enough?"

"I don't know," Borderlands responds. "Let's find out."

North America
Borderlands – Gearbox, 2K – Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
Everquest II: The Complete Collection – SCEA – PC

Japan
Antiphona no Seika Hime: Tenshi no Gakufu Op.A – Nippon Ichi – PSP
Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3: Unmei no Meikyuu Aizouban – Koei – PSP
Rune Factory 3 – Marvelous – Nintendo DS

Europe
Borderlands – Gearbox, 2K – PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3

So, Borderlands is out on 360 and PS3 this week in both North America and Europe, while Europe also bags the PC release (North Americans will have to wait until next week). I'm not going to say whether I view it as an RPG with shooter elements, or a shooter with RPG elements, because frankly, it doesn't matter to me. It's enough RPG to get listed here.

North America also happens to be getting a perfect edition of Everquest II.

Japan, meanwhile, picks up the 3rd DS Rune Factory title (you are a weresheep), what seems like the bazillionth Harukanaru Toki no Naka de title, and the spiritual successor to Rhapsody.

Anything looking worth it to you this week?

5 comments:

Billy said...

I picked up Borderlands. Paid the full $59.99 for a new release game which I almost never do. The game definitely is loud and proud about its RPG elements. I haven't really played Diablo or any MMOs in the past so all of the questing and loot gathering is new to me. It's pretty great.

Anonymous said...

just like billy said borderlands is worth playing.

bascially it's this years fallout 3, so if you liked fallout then u will like BL for sure.

good game, i've played it like crazy for the past few days.

Billy said...

The more I play Borderlands, the better it gets. It is rapidly joining and possibly surpassing Tales of Vesperia, Left 4 Dead, and Gears of War 2 as the most fun I've had this console generation. The single-player is awesome and with a good co-op group it is just phenomenal. I just can't recommend it enough!

Brandon said...

I didn't like Fallout 3, but I'd like to at least give Borderlands a try. definitely at least a rent sometime. I'm pretty busy with Magna Carta II right now, so maybe after I'm done with that.

Billy said...

I personally wouldn't use your opinion toward Fallout 3 as a guide on Borderlands. They are totally different experiences, especially with the co-op dimension. If Borderlands' setting didn't share some superficially similar elements with Fallout, I'm not sure anyone would even think to make the comparison.