Monday, August 24, 2009

RPGs of the Week: The Fall Draws Near Edition

Hello from the dead. (That's me).

I suppose some of you may be wondering where I've been lately. I'll be the first to admit that posts have been sporadic (at best) lately. The thing about that is it turns out that I'm getting married next month, which I've found out is sort of a big deal. I honestly had no idea how much work was involved with a wedding, and my free time has been all but completely destroyed by preparations. Unfortunately, things don't look like they're slowing down anytime soon, either.

So, up front, I'm sorry that I've been less than available lately. I'll try to keep up on at least new releases each week, and bigger news items (if I have time). From where I am right now, it looks like things should settle down by either the end of September or the beginning of October, which (hopefully) should allow me to keep up on Tokyo Game Show around that time.

Anyways, enough of my excuses. Here are the games that are coming out this week (August 24 - 28, 2009) around the world (except there is only stuff coming out in North America as far as I know):

North America
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody - Marvelous, Natsume - Nintendo Wii
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy - Gust, NIS America - PlayStation 2
Time of Shadows - SkyFallen, Take-Two - PC

Japan
(none)

Europe
(none)

As a head's up for my miss last week, Spectrobes: Origins, from Genki and Disney, hit the Nintendo Wii in North America last week.

This week sees the re-release of a GameCube Harvest Moon entry on the Wii, the sequel to Dawn of Magic on the PC, and what I assume (and hope) to be the last notable RPG release on the can't-we-just-let-it-die-yet? PlayStation 2, Mana Khemia 2.

I'll be definitely picking up Mana Khemia 2, though I have no idea when I'll have time to play it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for '2009' though.

Anything on your radar this week?

4 comments:

Billy said...

Congratulations! No new RPGs for me this week, though I am picking up Dissidia and Batman: Arkham Asylum, and I decided to spring for Star Ocean 4.

zerolocked said...

Yeah congrats. I just got Spectrobes Origins (that game is SWEET) and am rebuying FFXII.

menace said...

might check out batman an dissida sooner or later.

@billy, u should've got star ocean along time ago man,i myself haven't beat it yet on the 3rd disc now.

very good rpg.

on that note, magna carta II looks pretty damn good too, can't wait for that.

seems magna carta is the only good 360 rpg this year, other than star ocean.

Brandon said...

thanks to everyone for the congratulations!

@Billy: Star Ocean 4 is pretty good, especially if you like action-based battle systems

@menace: while you're right that Magna Carta II is the only other JRPG this year on the 360 (at least in North America), there are several good-looking WRPGs still to come that look interesting.

Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol, Risen, Divinity II, and Venetica are all still (supposedly) slated for this fall/winter.

but yeah, i'm a JRPG fan myself, so this year feels pretty slow to me. i hope there are some cool reveals at TGS.