Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Idea Factory Announces Trinity Universe

Great. Here we go again.

Idea Factory recently announced that it will be publishing a new turn-based RPG for PlayStation 3 this summer in Japan. So far, I don't have a problem, nay, colour me interested, even. However, this is no ordinary turn-based RPG, oh no. This is a cross-over RPG with characters from Gust's Atelier series and Nippon Ichi's Disgaea series.

The game follows either the Battle Goddess Rizelia or the Dog Demon Lord Kanata (no, I'm not joking, he really is a DOG Demon Lord). Both characters have their own stories, and depending on which you choose will play a large role in which of the cross-over characters will influence your quest.

As you can likely guess, Nippon Ichi's Disgaea fits in rather well with the Demon Lord side of the story. Meanwhile, somehow the Atelier series' characters are sided with the Goddess side. Whatever, I guess.

Ultimately, we have on our hands another large advertisment that gamers are expected to pay for. Woo.

Look, game devs. I didn't like Kingdom Hearts for this exact reason. I have tried to not to be so fussy over games like Chaos Wars and Cross Edge, but you've got me backed up against a wall here. Occassional character cameos? Awesome. Fun references to other games? Great. Blatant whoring out of game franchises to sell mediocre games? No No No No No x1,000,000!



For those of you into this sort of thing (you don't have to tell me about it), Trinity Universe will be available for PlayStation 3 sometime this August in Japan. And don't worry, I'm sure some company like NIS will pick it up eventually for those of you with too much money here in North America, too.

No comments: