Tuesday, April 6, 2010

RPGs of the Week: Welcome to April Edition

There are traditionally a few slow months for video games every year. One of those months is April, the month in which taxes are due and many companies are beginning a new fiscal year. It is also the month that many retailers attempt to clear out last year's unsold stock, and so often are hesitant to stock up on new titles.

Armed with this knowledge, I give you the obviously disappointing haul of the week (April 5 - 10, 2010):

North America
none

Japan
Judie no Atelier: Gramnat no Renkinjutsushi – Toraware no Moribito – Gust – PSP
Mass Effect (Platinum Collection) – BioWare, Microsoft – Xbox 360

Europe
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love – RED, Koei – Nintendo Wii

Wow. You know its slow when even the DS is bereft of anything.

Europe gets the ill-advised Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love Wii port, with no hide nor hair of its PS2 progenitor, while Japan gets a budget reprint of the now ancient Mass Effect, and a PSP port of Atelier Judie.

"Slim pickings" doesn't even begin to describe it.

Anything worth it for you this week?

2 comments:

Billy said...

I bought the Dragon Age DLC packs and also the Awakening expansion this week. I'm enjoying the game more than I expected to, even though it's really nothing like Mass Effect whatsoever.

Brandon said...

I would say that the fundamental RPG design between Dragon Age and the original Mass Effect is actually very similar, though I think Dragon Age is a little deeper (quite the feat when you consider how huge your codex was in Mass Effect).

Compared to Mass Effect 2, though? Yeah, pretty different. But again, I'm not sure I believe Mass Effect 2 is really much of an RPG. More like a shooter with interactive story spots between missions. I really hope BioWare focuses more on the RPG elements for ME3, but it may be a vain hope.