Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Lost in the Winds

Hey Gamers,

There is a little you need to know about me before you read the rest of this post... I own a Wii.... But before you scoff at me, geek circle me, make fun of weight (no, I don't need Wii fit), or even discard me as a sell out and not being a true gamer there is a couple points I need to bring to the table.... I have a girlfriend and I am a poor student, and if I could, I would gladly sell my own grandma for another system (Grandma if your reading this, don't worry I'm talking about my grandma on the other side of the family)! There now that you all understand that, owning a Wii should be fine with you.

Recently I had the pleasure of playing quite an interesting game on the Wii, Lost Winds. Lost Winds is an action-adventure/ puzzle game with a few rpg elements thrown into the mix. Unaware of what I was getting myself into I shelled out ten bucks (1000 Wii points) for the game. Do I regret it? Maybe...

Lost Winds is intriguing game that consists of you controlling two characters Toku (a small 8 to 12 year old child, who's a mute, cannot jump and eats fruit as large as his body) and Enril (a small wind god, supposedly with enough power to create tornados but since the loss of it's power can only manage small bursts of wind) in their incredible adventure to save Mistralis (the world). Though seemingly controlling both characters Toku can only walk right, walk left, or grab onto things. Where as Enril can manipulate Toku and anything else in the screen (fire, water, enemies, plants, orbs, villagers, etc). In most cases the game consists of Enril using Toku to solve all the puzzle aspects of the game. Most of the puzzles involve Enril setting Toku on top of buttons or moving a switch that Toku is holding on to but to weak to activate himself. Also as controlling Enril you will have the role of deciding whether Toku lives or dies, by killing enemies, slowly parachuting him when he jumps from high places, and not hitting him with other things that you find along the way (say for example hitting Toku in the head with boulders, which by the way is the most entertaining thing to do in the game).

When all is said and done Lost Winds is an incredibly fun experience and has the best Wii controls I have ever experienced, lasting a full two whopping hours. Thats right 2 hours.... I enjoyed the game so much I played it start to finish in two hours... But thats it? Thats all there is? What!?......... Oh, wait they're releasing it in chapters? But according my saved game I have all the abilities already... And I have to find 4 more pieces / mini element gods... does this mean I'll be shelling out 30 to 50 bucks for the game as all the chapters are released? Why not just release as a full game then, GEEZE? Anyways, whether you pick up the game or not is up to you, I enjoyed it, but in the end you may end up just waiting for new installments which are 2 hours long and ten bucks each.... They should have just released the whole game onto disc... I suggest maybe waiting for the whole game to be released before you do anything. Sure the first chapter got an 8 out of 10 but what will happen next?

~Giggity Gavin

Oh, I also dropped a video and a comic. Later Days.

Lost Winds






Comic: Button Weight (Lost Winds)
(click to Enlarge)

No comments: