Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sakura Wars Will be Better on PS2, Wii Shafted

If there is one publisher that just can't let the PS2 go, it's NIS America. Oh sure, they have published a few titles on Wii, DS, PSP, and even PS3, but that good old PS2 just seems to maintain a sweet spot in their hearts.

For better or for worse, this has driven NIS to publish a series here in North America that has been often overlooked by others: Sakura Taisen (Sakura Wars).

Sakura Wars: So Long My Love is actually an ancient 2005 Japanese release known as Sakura Taisen 5: Saraba Itoshiki Hito yo (which translates as basically the same thing). Quite why NIS thought that the game is worth releasing 5 years later on a system that has (in my opinion) long outlived its usefulness is beyond me, but here we are.

In an effort to keep the game relevant, NIS has commissioned a Wii port of the title to be released here in North America at the same time as the PS2 version, and we were originally told that the two would be comparable in features.

However, this has proven not to be the case, as NIS has announced that the game will be heavily gimped on Nintendo's console.

The PS2 version will ship in a premium box complete with an artbook and poster, and will contain two dual-layer DVDs, complete with both English and Japanese voice tracks. The Wii version, by contrast, will receive only a standard case and one single-layer DVD containing only the English voice-overs, though will be priced $10 lower than the superior PS2 version. It should be noted that there is currently only one printing scheduled for this game, and NIS has mentioned that should subsequent printings occur, the PS2 version will be reprinted without the extras mentioned above.

Predictably, NIS has not offered any official statement on why the Wii version is "getting the shaft," as it were, but putting on my educated guessing hat, I would conclude that the Wii port has gone way over budget, and NIS is trying to just get it out the door to minimize further losses. Again, just my speculation.

Sakura Wars: So Long My Love will be available for PlayStation 2 and Nintendo Wii on March 23, 2010.

So now I have approximately 3 months to decide if I care enough about a 5 year old PS2 game to warrant pre-ordering it. PS2 games are getting harder and harder purchases for me to justify. :/

[RPGamer]

3 comments:

Billy said...

This is super lame. I don't care about the Japanese voiceovers, I would play with the dub on either way, but I am interested in the artbook and poster. But I would rather play the game on my Wii than on my PS2. So if I want to play the game on my preferred console, but also want the bonus items, I have to buy it twice? No thanks. I'm just going to get the cheaper version and be done with it. Bad move NISA.

Anonymous said...

^lol.

i don't know anythibng bout this series.

is it any good brandon ?

hmmm looks good i guess.

Brandon said...

i've personally never played it. the series in general merges SRPGs and dating-sim elements, which is certainly not a new concept.

there was an action-RPG entry at one point, though i'm not sure which this is.

realistically speaking, i doubt the battle system or story will be extremely compelling, and i think it's a given that a 5 year old game isn't going to impress anyone in the visuals department.

either way, the big focus of this series is the dating-sim portion, so i would say look into it if you have a thing for conversations with anime-style girls.

hope that helps. :)